Does God Like You?

I was riding back from our Easter Weekend with Jacki’s family yesterday and the girls wanted to pop in an Adventure in Odyssey. If you haven’t heard of it, it is an audio series that tells stories to teach lessons (often to children). Anyway, both Jacki and her younger sister had fallen asleep so I was left listening to the story playing and one of the characters asked a question to their dad which I thought was a pretty good one. He was facing some trouble in school and was trying to find out what he needed to change to be liked more. When his dad told him that the opinion that mattered most to him was God’s, the son asked him,

Does God like me?

That question hit the sweet spot. My relationship with Christ started out with a deeeeeeeeep desire to please him and a feeling like I never could. I was constantly failing. Constantly letting him down. It was a part of who I was. I had flaws that kept tripping me up and personality traits that I was working so hard to change. If I was asked that question back then, I would have had a hard time answering it. I knew God loved me, but I didn’t know how he could like me. What was there to like anyway? I mean, if the whole point of being a disciple of Christ was “I must decrease so that he may increase” like we so often quote as Christians, then there must be something about the person that I am that God doesn’t like. Why else would he need to eradicate that in order for Christ to increase in me? I hear Christians say, “God wants to do something through me, I just gotta get myself out of the way before he can do it.” We approach ministry with the intention of showing people that God loves them. I think an equally important issue to address is the need to be liked. But can we really answer that question for people? What do you think?

Does God like you? Why?

13 thoughts on “Does God Like You?

1. Rachel says:

reading something last night that sparked the same question. We do often try to change who God created us to be, into something that the world would approve of. If we arent happy with who we are, we are telling God we are unhappy and dont trust Him. Image is the hardest thing to be content with. Wanting to be thinner,bigger,shorter, w.e; causes our self confidience to decrease. I too am struggling with the image I was given. I need to remember that it is not about “me” in trying to be “perfect” but that I can stand tall and appreciate that nothing is holding me back from worshiping God. Alot harder said then actually doing, I know.

2. Rachel says:

Oh getting caught up in changing who we think we should be, changes the focus off of God & onto us. God just wants us to be happy. content with who we are but also, a work in progress. We all have rough edges & our flaws are unique and different from others. If we all had the same flaws then we all would have a more difficult time progressing. I say that b.c hearing other testimonies/their stories help us relate and realize we are not alone in this.

3. Rachel says:

approaching ministry with a servant’s heart means dyeing daily and steppingh out of faith [with honesty] and sharing what God has done for you. Todays generation is not all about words, but by actually doing something.

4. Bennet says:

Yes, many feel this way, and even me too… Trying to please God. As you explained our failures teach us that we need to work hard to please God. And I am preparing a series of preaching now named “unbellieving believers,” “faithless faith” and “unholy holiness.” I feel this is relevant to our discussion. We work hard to get the love of God when even God explained us that He loves from the beginning already.
    A major reason for our feeling that we need to work for God’s love is our failures, in other words our sins. Paul explained it so well that our sins are washed away. We died to sin (Rom 6:6). When we died to sin we do not sin anymore.
    Could we sin anymore? Sin is breaking the Law. Law is not active in the life of the Christians (Gal 2:16-21). When there is no Law there is no sin. No one could sin anymore. As we are saved, we are holy and we need only to confirm to the holiness. If we then work for the holiness it becomes “unholy holiness.” As we are saved and as we are holy we need only to live up to the saved holy status (This is an essential part of Pauline theology). Thus, God gave us the Spirit (as He liked us) Gal 5:25. The Spirit will help us to live according to God’s will. So, we need not work to get God’s approval or liking. He liked us enough that we are not condemed any longer and He liked us enough that he made us holy and also gave us tools to keep us holy. He likes us but our church makes things complicated to propogate religious activities, which causes a sense of guilt and also infereior complex in a fearful Christian. We as Christians must be strong that Christ saved us, made us holy and that God just loves us. He just loves us. Full stop.

5. ajquinley says:

Bennet, I love the depth of your process on what the cross did to sin and the law. That’s a bold claim. “We do not sin anymore because the law does not govern us.” I also like the full stop at the end :0)

6. ajquinley says:

Rachel, I agree with you in that God likes us even with our flaws. Question, are our flaws in direct relation to our sinful nature?

7. Bennet says:

The bold claim is Paul’s Andrew:
    Romans 5:13
    But sin is not taken into account when there is no law.
    Romans 7:7-8
    Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “Do not covet.” 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead.

8. rachel says:

i think when i was mention flaws, I was thinking more of like a rock with jagged edges & they get smoothed out in time. That we all fall short & “are work in progress.” I dont really know how to answer your question.
    Then again our personality traits [quality that makes us different from one another] are unique as well.

9. ajquinley says:

That’s a good bit of wisdom, Rachel, “they get smoothed out in time”. What I meant to ask was, “are we flawed by sin or by God’s design?”